Friday, July 10, 2015

Grandma's Rhubarb Pie

Grandma's Rhubarb Pie

A great family tradition in my house is Rhubarb Custard Pie. My favorite grandmother made these pies every spring and throughout the summer. In Michigan Rhubarb ripens and is ready for eating in early May. As soon as it is available we make pies, breads, and cakes etc...

Contemporary Bakers RackWhen I make my Rhubarb Pie, I use my favorite kitchen tools, I always make my pie crust homemade. It's so much better that way!! Don't ever use store bought ones. You CAN tell the difference. I love how homemade crust has that rustic look to it.  
When I get compliments on my pies, my response is always the same, I tell them that the reason they are so good is because I make them with LOVE!!I have this great. Contemporary Bakers Rack that I store my pie baking supplies in. My rolling pin and rolling cloth are tucked away and out of sight. My favorite pie plates and serving plates display wonderfully on this rack. Its beautiful and a show piece in my kitchen. Its the simplest things can bring such warmth to a home. Its the little things that make a house a home....

Here is Grandma's family favorite Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe:


Rhubarb Custard Pie

In a large bowl add 4-5 cups cut up Rhubarb
2 cups sugar
4 T flour (5 T if you are using frozen rhubarb)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 large eggs beaten slightly with fork
3 T milk

mix first 3 ingredients and add beaten egg and milk, mix well.
Stir into rhubarb chunks
Pour into unbaked 9" pie crust
dot with 1 T butter
Bake @ 400 1 hour or until bubbly

Bake one today and make it your family favorite too. Let me know how it goes!!

Not only is this bakers rack really a beautiful piece of furniture, but it also displays collectibles, pottery, pretty dishes and cools grandma's rhubarb pie... :)

We have this Contemporary Bakers Rack and others at Up North Furniture.











No comments:

Post a Comment