Thursday, March 3, 2016

5 Simply Ways to Clean out the Clutter

Spring time is one of my favorite times of the year.  We change our thoughts to cleaning and organizing,  the garage, the basement, closets cupboards etc.......

Get the summer-house ready, Get the cabin ready, the fun is about to begin.
After I clean the upstairs in the garage, I will be moving my current desk to my new office.  I still want something to use in my main house,  I want something small and pretty to tuck in a small area.  Some place where you can sit and write a note or pay a bill.  Nothing to big.  I really like this desk with it's rich color and slim design. See this desk and more at Up North Furniture.
We have this desk and more at UP North Furniture


This year for me is all about cleaning the upstairs in the garage.  I am hoping to clean it out and make an office for myself up there.  It's a great space but right now it is filled with a bunch of junk.....!!

As I'm getting ready to start working on this huge project, I start thinking about what a big job this is and how I can tackle it without totally stressing me out.  Here is the way I cleared out the clutter in my soon to be beautiful office.

Start to make piles 


    1. Things to donate 
    2. Things to save
    3. Things to throw
    4. Things to return
    5. Yard sale items
Once you have the piles, everything starts to make sense.  You might be wise to get someone to help you move things around.  It was really hair to make all the decision to get rid of the things I had to but I thought if I haven't used it in this long, I probably don't need it.  
I called up friends and friends of my children and had them all over to help carry things downstairs.  
It was actually quite amazing how quick it all happened.

  1. Things to donate-  Everyone has things that can be repurposed. You can donate to Good Will, or give to a Church, maybe just give to someone you know.
  2. Things to save-  These are things that you don't know what to do with, maybe you don't use them very often, or they are things that have sentimental value.  Separate these things into subcategories.  Things to store, things to have on hand, and maybe things that need to be reserved.
  3. Things to throw- At my house this is a big category.  I have adult children who have left the house, and ex-husband, and all of my own clutter that just needs to go.  Not to mention all the empty boxes of gifts of years past.  
  4. Things to return-  It seems everyone who has ever lived with you, when they leave, they leave something behind.  This is something that is so irritating to me.  Return these items.  Even if you have to load it yourself.  Just do it. It will feel better not having someone's stuff at your house.
  5. Yard sale items-  I have made a lot of money having a yard sale before.  Put everything in this pile, even stuff you aren't sure will sell.  One man's junk is another man's treasure. Isn't that what they say..  Later on when it gets closer to having a yard sale you can sort again.
After this room was clean I treated everyone to a nice steak dinner and after we all sat down and enjoyed a Mock Shamrock Shake.  Here is the recipe

Ingredients
1 pint vanilla ice cream (2 cups)
1/4 cup peppermint schnapps
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 to 4 drops green liquid food coloring
2 mint sprigs

Directions
Blend the ice cream, peppermint schnapps, vanilla and food coloring in a blender until smooth. Pour into two serving glasses and garnish each with a mint sprig.




I got this recipe off Food Network website click here for more info

No comments:

Post a Comment